How to Maintain a Healthy Bladder in 2020
Your bladder and bowel are key to your health and well-being. If they are not looked after properly, then they may become a problem to you! Read on to find out how to maintain a healthy bladder in 2020 here.
To maintain or achieve a healthy bladder in 2020, you need to keep hydrated. A large factor in this is the amount and type of fluid that you drink.
A general guide is that an adult should drink around 1500-2000ml of fluid per 24 hours. It is important to drink this amount throughout a 24-hour period, spreading the amount of fluid throughout the day rather than drinking a large amount at one time.
A healthy bladder should empty between 4-8 times in 24 hours. Urine should be almost straw coloured. If yellow or darker, you may need to drink more.
Fluids that are good for your bladder:
- Diluted cordial / squash drinks
- Decaffeinated tea and coffee
- Fruity and herbal teas
Fluids to avoid include:
- Alcoholic drinks
- Caffeinated drinks including hot chocolate, tea and coffee
- Fizzy drinks
- Females should sit on the toilet to empty their bladder – do not hover
- Take time to allow your bladder to empty completely
- Do not empty your bladder “just in case”
- Empty your bladder just prior to going to sleep
Seek guidance from your GP if you experience:
- Pain when passing urine
- Pass blood in your urine
- Notice you are passing urine more frequently or the urge to pass urine is stronger than usual
- It takes you longer to have a wee
If you have any concerns about your bladder, including an altered bladder habit, please consult with your GP. If you want any more information, then please contact BBUK’s helpline today.
Written by Joanne Hoyle, Specialist Nurse.